Has Your Raleigh, NC Workers’ Compensation Claim Been Denied?

You’ve been hurt on the job, notified your employer about your injury, sought medical treatment for your injury, and have gone back and forth with your employer’s insurance company about your claim. Despite having jumped through the many required hoops in to order to receive the benefits you deserve, you just received the devastating letter from the insurance company stating that your claim has been denied. What to do next?

Denial of your NC workers’ compensation claim

Once notice of an injured worker’s claim has been filed with the North Carolina Industrial Commission, the employer and/or employer’s insurance carrier is supposed to comply with the statutory provisions set forth in North Carolina to investigate the claim and determine whether the claim will be accepted or denied. If a claim is denied by the employer/employer’s insurance carrier, then the denial is filed with the North Carolina Industrial Commission on a NCIC Form 61 and the injured worker is given no rights. So then, what’s the next step for an injured worker with a denied claim?

The next step in NC workers’ compensation process.

You have received notice from the employer/employer’s insurance carrier denying your claim. You are still suffering from your injuries caused by an on-the job accident, medical bills are piling up, and you may be out of work because of your injuries. In North Carolina an injured worker can take one of two courses of action at this stage: (1) Either withdraw his/her claim, which means that the injured worker has 2 years from the date of injury to request a hearing to the NC Industrial Commission by filing a NCIC Form 33; or (2) Request a hearing immediately upon receipt of the employer’s denial by filing an NCIC Form 33 with the Industrial Commission. You should consult proper legal advice once you request a hearing.

Contacting a Raleigh NC Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

Remember, it is important to speak with an experienced Raleigh, NC workers’ compensation attorney about your denied claim. This stage of the process can become quite complicated and time consuming. You do not have to go at it alone. We are here to help you with these complicated worker’s compensation matters at The Bishop Law Firm. Please give us a call today regarding your workers’ compensation claim, (919) 615-3095.