Do you need a Wake County Auto Accident Lawyer? The Bishop Law Firm can help! Read our post on when you should hire an attorney for your auto accident injury case.

Some Statistics on Wake County, NC Auto Accidents

If you have been injured in a Wake County auto accident, you are not alone! According to the NC Department of Transportation, in 2019, there were 34,256 crashes and 13,386 injuries in Wake County. That was an average of almost 37 injuries a day in 2019 from auto crashes. Unfortunately, distracted and drunk drivers contribute to these numbers.

NC Personal Injury Law

NC is a contributory negligence state, which means that for a accident victim to recover, they must not be at fault for their personal injury. Contributory negligence can create unfair outcomes for victims, but unfortunately, it is the law in NC.

In NC personal injury claims, you generally have three years to file a claim for an injury you sustained due to the negligence of another. A victim can recover medical expenses, pain & suffering as well as lost wages. Punitive damages are rarely awarded.

If you were injured in a car accident while working, you may have a NC Workers’ Compensation case as well as a Personal Injury case depending on the circumstances of your accident. If the victim was killed in the car accident, the case becomes a wrongful death claim. Wrongful death claims have a two year statute of limitations. Read our post Raleigh Wrongful Death Lawyer.

How do I know if the car accident was my fault?

If you received a ticket from the police officer, the accident was deemed to be your fault. If no one receives a ticket from the car accident, it may be difficult to determine fault later on. If you are not at fault, you should obtain the at-fault party’s insurance information, take photos of your vehicle/the negligent driver’s vehicle as well as seek immediate medical treatment.

You should be able to find a copy of your crash report through the Raleigh Police Department, Wake County Sheriff’s Department or  NC Highway Patrol (depending on where the car accident occurred). The accident report and circumstances of your injury should be closely examined to determine who is at fault. A Wake County Auto Accident Attorney can help with this.

What expenses can I be reimbursed for and who reimburses me?

You can be reimbursed your accident related (past, present and future) medical expenses, lost wages due to being out of work because of your crash injuries as well as pain & suffering. Please remember that insurance companies have no legal duty to tell you everything that you can be compensated for or to help you be compensated for it. Insurance companies make money by collecting premiums, not paying claims.

After filing a claim with the negligent party’s insurance company an adjuster will be assigned to your case. You should inform the insurance adjuster of all your expenses related to the accident. The adjuster may want you to do a recorded statement. This can be tricky. You need to communicate with the insurance for them to pay your claim, but giving too much or incorrect information can actually hurt your personal injury claim.

What if the insurance company won’t pay for treatment I need or other expenses?

Quite often, adjusters do not want to pay for medical expenses or other accident related expenses based on technical issues or they can even dispute that your injury was caused by the accident. Even in cases where their insured is clearly negligent, they can delay a claim until the statute of limitations has run or want to rush to settlement to avoid paying for any further necessary medical treatment.

Many times, the only recourse that a injured party has is to seek help from a Personal Injury Attorney to recover their accident related expenses. If this is happening to you, contact a Wake County NC Auto Accident Lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your case.

The Bishop Law Firm represents Wake County (including Raleigh and Cary) car accident, truck accident, motorcycle accident and wrongful death injury victims and we do not get paid unless you win! Call us today for a free case review by phone, (919) 615-3095.