This post discusses Social Security Disability Benefits and Bone Fractures. If you or someone you care for has sustained a fracture and are unable to work, read on for how SSA will evaluate your claim for disability benefits.

Fractures are common in childhood and are usually not complicated. But as we age, bones become brittle and recovering from a fracture becomes more difficult. There are different types of fractures but displaced, non-displaced, open, and closed are the main ones. Displaced and non-displaced fractures refer to the way the bone breaks.

An important fact to remember when considering whether you may be eligible for Social Security Disability Benefits for your bone fracture is SSA’s duration requirement. To be found disabled, your disability must have lasted or is expected to last for at least one year (or to result in death). In simple terms, if your fracture heals and you are able to return to work in less than a year, you are not eligible to receive Social Security Disability benefits.

The Social Security Administration evaluates bone fractures under 1.00 Musculoskeletal System, specifically 1.06 and 1.07. While this post discusses these two listings, you may be found disabled under other portions of this listing if you have suffered major dysfunction of a joint.

Listing 1.06 discusses Fracture of the femur, tibia, pelvis, or one or more of the tarsal bones. This listing requires non solid union and the inability to ambulate effectively. What is the inability to ambulate effectively? If you have extreme limitation in your ability to walk, you are unable to ambulate effectively. But what is extreme? Are you unable to walk without a cane, walker or crutches? If so, you may be extremely limited in your ability to walk.

Listing 1.07 discusses Fracture of an upper extremity. This listing requires nonunion of a fracture of the shaft of the humerus, radius, or ulna, under continuing surgical management, as defined in 1.00M, directed toward restoration of functional use of the extremity. Has a year passed since your fracture, you are unable to heal and your doctors are still trying to restore the use of your upper extremity via surgeries, etc.? If so, you may meet this listing.

If you have sustained a fracture and have been out of work for a year or your doctor informs you that you will be out of work for a year or more due to your fracture, file a claim for Social Security Disability benefits as soon as possible and call the Bishop Law Firm. We want to help!