Do you need Durham Injury Lawyers? If so, The Bishop Law Firm can help. We represent personal injury clients in Durham, NC and surrounding areas. Read on for how we can help you.
North Carolina Personal Injury Law
North Carolina is a contributory negligence state. This means that you must not be at fault to recover for your personal injury. If you received a citation (ticket) from the police, sheriff or state trooper for the accident, you have been determined to be at fault and do not have a personal injury claim.
It is not always easy to determine who is at fault for an accident, even with a accident report. A personal injury attorney can review the circumstances of your accident and give legal advice regarding who is at fault and if you have a case.
There are also time limits (See also Statute of Limitations ) on how long you have to file a case. The time limits are different for different types of personal injury cases, but, in general , you have three (3) years from the date of the accident. You must also file suit in the county of accident.
Types of Durham Personal Injury Cases We Handle.
- Car Accident – If you have been injured in an automobile accident, you will have to deal with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Unfortunately, this is not a easy or straightforward process. You have to tell them some information in order for them to pay your personal injury claim, but they can also use the information that you give them against you in a personal injury lawsuit. Knowing what to tell an adjuster can be tricky.
- Truck Accident – Being hit by a large commercial truck can result in catastrophic injuries for those in small cars. In addition, many insurance companies will not give out the policy limits on commercial trucking policies unless a lawyer is involved. Knowing policy limits helps determine how far injury victims will have to go to attain recovery for serious injury.
- Motorcycle Accident – Motorcyclists do not have the structural protection that a car affords when an accident occurs. Motorcyclists tend to experience more severe injuries than passengers in a car. Traumatic Brain Injury and even death can occur. Having a Durham Injury Lawyer can allow you to focus on your recovery instead dealing with the insurance company.
- Pedestrian vs. Auto Accident – Pedestrian victims face the most devastating injuries when hit by cars. Brain injury, mulitple broken bones and extensive rehabilitation may be needed to get the victim back to baseline. An auto accident lawyer can help you gather your medical bills and records as well as seek expert opinions to ready your case for personal injury litigation.
- Dog Bite/Attack – Dogs can be wonderful, but some can also be vicious. If you or your dog are attacked by a unknown dog, who pays for your injury and property damage? Generally, the owner of the dog compensates you, but dog owners can be difficult to find when it is time for them to pay your injury claim.
- Wrongful Death Cases – Of all of the cases we handle, Wrongful Death is the most difficult for the family of the victim. An injury attorney can help work on your wrongful death claim while you focus on saying goodbye.
- Work Injury Cases – In NC, if you are injured at work, you would file a workers’ compensation claim with the North Carolina Industrial Commission. But if you were injured by a 3rd party while performing your job duties, you may also have a personal injury case as well.
- Premise Liability Cases – Slip and Falls can be difficult cases to prove. The property owner must have been negligent and that negligence must have been the direct cause of your injury. Only by thoroughly investigating the facts of your injury can it be determined if the property owner was negligent.
- Hospital Negligence Cases – Failing to disinfect a piece of medical equipment or using the wrong chemicals around the wrong patient can be hospital negligence. No one should have to suffer injury, because a hospital prioritizes profit over patient care.
*Call us at (919) 615-3095 if your case type is not listed to see if we can help.*.
What can you recover?
Medical Expenses, Lost Wages and Pain & Suffering are some of the types of recovery that you can receive from your personal injury case. According to NC Law, the at-fault party is responsible for compensating the accident victim for accident-related medical treatment, prescriptions, mileage and medical equipment. If you miss time from work , the at-fault party should also pay for your time. How do you measure pain & suffering? Having an experienced Durham NC Personal Injury Lawyer can help you with this.
Settle or Go to Trial?
If the at-fault party or their insurance carrier is not willing to cover all your expenses and compensate you for pain & suffering, should you still accept the settlement offer? What about future medical expenses related to the injury? There are no easy answers to these questions.
If you were injured in Durham, NC, your case will be heard in Durham County Superior Court . Do you know the average Durham jury award in a case like yours? Is this number higher or lower than your settlement offer? What are the chances of losing at trial? Is your attorney willing to go to trial if the insurance offer is unfair?
These questions should be discussed with your Durham Personal Injury Lawyer before any settlement offer is accepted. At The Bishop Law Firm, we believe that decisions to settle or go to trial should be made on a case-by-case basis.
Do you really need a Durham Personal Injury Lawyer?
A Durham Personal Injury Lawyer can help you attain the most recovery for your case under North Carolina law. Do not expect the at-fault party, insurance company or their lawyer to inform you of all the recovery you are entitled to. It will be their goal to pay you as little (preferably nothing) as possible.
The Bishop Law Firm does not get paid unless we win your case . This means that we are motivated to help you attain the highest recovery possible. Call us today for a free case evaluation at (919) 615-3095!