If you are unable to work because of your health, you may be considering hiring a disability lawyer in Raleigh, NC. For many of our clients, hiring a lawyer to help attain disability benefits is their first lawyer experience. Because this may be your first time hiring a lawyer, you may not know what to look for. This post attempts to clarify that.
The Social Security Administration has two types of disability benefits that one may be eligible for: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). While these programs have different requirements, the process for being found disabled under both is the same. See the Five Step Sequential Evaluation.
The Social Security Disability Process can be tough and long. There are several levels that you may have to go through to get your claim approved. The initial application (initial), reconsideration, a hearing in front of a SSA Administrative Law Judge, the Appeals Council and finally a trip to district court. Attention must be paid to the appeals process in order to keep disability claims viable.
While some individuals are able to be approved for Social Security disability benefits without an attorney, many are not. The choice to hire a disability attorney and when are both serious considerations. So, what should you be looking for when hiring a disability lawyer in Raleigh, NC?
- Experience – Having an Experienced Social Security Disability attorney/disability representative on your side is the least you should expect!
- Courtesy – A law firm that returns your phone calls as soon as possible.
- Happy Former Clients – Checking out your potential Social Security Disability Lawyers’ online reviews is a barometer for how they have treated clients in the past.
- Honesty really makes a huge difference in your disability benefits case. Being honest about what is going on with you can mean the difference between winning or losing your case. This same honest standard should be applied to law firm you hire to represent you.
- During the disability process, your attorney and their staff should obtain your medical records. As the client, you should not be asked to obtain your own medical records.
- Your attorney/representative should meet with you as soon as possible after becoming a client. Meeting with you sets the tone for representation and also builds trust.
If you are considering hiring a Social Security disability lawyer in Raleigh, NC, The Bishop Law Firm can help. We represent Social Security Disability clients in Raleigh, NC and surrounding areas. We do not get paid unless you win (contingency basis) and we offer free case evaluations. Call us today for a free case review, (919) 615-3095 .