Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can wreak havoc on your life. If this is happening to you or someone you know, read on for information on whether filing a claim for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is the right choice.

As discussed by the National Institute of Mental Health, PTSD happens when your fight-or-flight response has been damaged. A person with PTSD can sense danger when none is present. PTSD develops after a terrible experience, such as those found in war, rape, torture, abuse, car accidents, etc.

After this traumatic experience happens, a person with PTSD can have nightmares and unexplainable fear. The most frequent symptom that I hear from clients is frightening flashbacks. A flashback itself can trigger an anxiety attack. Speaking about the incident may trigger these feelings or they may occur when you least expect it.

The Social Security Administration evaluates PTSD under Listing 12.06 Anxiety Related Disorders. This listing requires medical documentation of symptoms and for those symptoms to affect (at least two of these) your daily living, social functioning, concentration/persistence/pace or episodes of decompensation OR the inability to function independently outside of your home.

Have your PTSD symptoms progressed to the point that you are unable to functioning daily? Do you have problems tolerating the presence of strangers? Are you unable to concentrate due to your symptoms? Are you unable to leave home due to fear of what you will do or what others will do to you? If you answer yes to any of these questions, you may meet the above listing. But in all honesty, your PTSD has affected your ability to work long before you meet this listing.

I advise clients who are experiencing PTSD to seek mental health treatment as soon as possible. Therapy and medications may help alleviate your symptoms. If you are receiving mental health treatment and taking your medications, but are still unable to work due to your PTSD, you should file a claim for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) as soon as possible.