Wilson Workers Compensation Lawyer

If you need a Wilson Workers Compensation Attorney, keep reading for how The Bishop Law Firm can help. We represent injured workers in Wilson County and surrounding areas. We do not get paid unless you win. Call us today for a free case evaluation at (919) 615-3095 or start online now.

Some Wilson, NC Facts

  • The largest industries in Wilson are Manufacturing and Healthcare & Social Assistance.
  • The highest paid industries in Wilson are Transportation & Warehousing and Utilities.
  • BB&T, Bridgestone, Wilson County Schools and Wilson Medical Center are among the largest employers in Wilson.
  • Healthcare & Social Assistance and Manufacturing are in the top five most dangerous industries in the United States. In fact, statistics show that hospitals are one of the most hazardous places to work. In addition, manufacturing has been the 2nd most fatal industry in North Carolina second only to construction.
  • No matter where you work in Wilson, being hurt at work can cost you pain, time and money.

How does the NC Workers Compensation System work?

The North Carolina Industrial Commission (NCIC) handles all NC Workers’ Compensation claims. You must inform the NCIC about your claim by filing an I. C. Form 18 online, or with the assistance of the employer, or having your Workers’ Compensation Lawyer file on your behalf. All North Carolina Industrial Commission forms can be found on their website.

State law requires the I.C. Form 18 must be filed with the Industrial Commission within two (2) years of the date of the accidental injury or the date that the worker learns that he has an occupational disease. This step in the process gives the Industrial Commission authority over your workers’ compensation claim. You cannot sue an employer in the North Carolina court system for an accidental injury sustained or developed on the job.

After the filing of the Form 18, the employer must respond accepting or denying your workers compensation claim. The employer will respond (usually)  with a Form 60 (acceptance), Form 61 (denial) or Form 63 (accepted for certain benefits). The next step that the employee takes will be based on the form that the employer files.

Accepted Claims – The employer has agreed that you were injured at work and they will pay you weekly benefits as well as for your injury-related medical care. The employer controls all medical treatment in accepted claims. However, this does not mean that the employer has agreed to pay for all your medical treatment.

Many times, an employee will have to seek a 2nd medical opinion in order to receive needed expensive medical care. It should be noted than an employer also has a right to request a 2nd medical opinion as well.

Denied Claims – The employer is denying that you were injured at work and will pay you nothing. You can go to any medical provider that you chose but if you do not eventually win your case, you or your health insurance will have to pay for the medical treatment you received.

In denied claims, hiring  Workers Compensation Lawyers may be your only recourse for obtaining benefits.

What does NC Workers Compensation pay for?

In North Carolina, Workers Compensation law provides medical compensation and lost wages for non-fatal injuries and death benefits for fatal injuries. Medical compensation includes medical treatment and mileage reimbursement for treatment of your on the job injury. Lost Wage benefits provide monetary compensation due to your inability to earn wages because of your on the job injury. This benefit provides compensation based on the physical impairment of the injured body part as well.

If you are injured by a third party while working, you may also have a personal injury claim (read Wilson Personal Injury Lawyer). In addition, if your workplace injury eliminated your ability to work in the future, a claim for Social Security Disability (read Wilson Social Security Disability Lawyer) should be pursued.

Steps to Take after Workplace Injuries

YouTube video

If you have been injured at work, follow the below steps:

  1. Immediately notify your employer about your injury verbally
    1. Seek Medical Treatment and document all places you have been for treatment (ambulance, FastMed, hospital, etc)
    2. Follow Medical Advice
    3. If you are missing work, document when you missed and how much you would have earned
  2. Give us a call for your free case review at (919) 615-3095! Our legal services can help with the below process.
  3. Send a written letter or email to your employer about your injury within thirty (30) days after the accident
  4. File a claim with the North Carolina Industrial Commission (N.C.IC.) by filing an I. C. Form 18 online.
  5. Your NC Workers Compensation claim will either be:
    1. Accepted - the insurance adjuster has agreed that you have a claim, but what is covered and what should you do if the insurance company will not pay for treatment that you need? A Wilson NC Worker Comp Lawyer can advise you of your next steps.
    2. Denied - the insurance company is denying that you have been hurt at work or that you have a compensable claim. Contacting a worker's compensation lawyer should be your next move.

Do you need Wilson Workers Compensation Lawyers?

A Wilson Workers Compensation Attorney can help you attain necessary medical treatment and recover more of your accident-related expenses as well as file forms with the N.C.I.C. and communicate with the adjuster. If you feel that you are not receiving all the medical treatment that you need to recover or if the insurance company has denied your workers compensation case giving a lawyer a call may be the only way to recover. The Bishop Law Firm represents workers compensation clients in Wilson and we do not get paid unless you win. Give us a call today for a free case evaluation, (919)615-3095!

Also read NC Workers Compensation Lawyer

Why Choose
The Bishop Law Firm
Disability & Injury

Disability & Injury Law is all we do.
We keep you informed.
We don’t get paid unless you do.
Local. Dependable. Knowledgeable.
Free Case Reviews