Do you need a Wilson NC Social Security Disability Lawyer? The Bishop Law Firm represents disability clients in Wilson County and we do not get paid unless we win your case and you receive back pay. Keep reading to find out about the disability process and how we can help.
Facts about Wilson, NC
- The Social Security Office is located at 1911 Westwood Ave West in Wilson. Their phone is 1-866-366-5804.
- According to SSA, as of December 2016, 2,995 people in Wilson County received Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- If you live in Wilson and have to go to a SSA hearing, your hearing will be held at the Raleigh ODAR at 4800 Falls of the Neuse Rd (across the street from our Raleigh office).
- If you are unable to afford medical treatment, you can try to apply for Medicaid for the Disabled at Wilson County Social Services.
- Disabled individuals in Wilson without health insurance or Medicaid can try Wilson Community Health Center (Green Street) for treatment.
- We meet our Wilson Social Security Disability clients at the Wilson County Senior Center.
The Social Security Disability Process
- Initial: The first step is to apply for benefits. You can apply online or by telephone. You can opt to apply without an attorney, or you can choose to hire an attorney from the beginning. Social Security calls this the initial level. In North Carolina, your case is sent to Disability Determination Services (DDS).
- Reconsideration: If you are denied at the initial level, you will need to appeal. This appeal is called the reconsideration. The reconsideration level is very similar to the initial level, except a different examiner should review your case.
- Hearing Level: If you are denied at the reconsideration level, you will need to request an hearing before an administrative law judge. As discussed above, the Raleigh, NC OHO is your local hearing office.
- Appeals Council: If you are denied at hearing, you will have to appeal to the Appeals Council (AC) in Falls Church, VA.
- District Court: Lastly, if you are denied by the AC, you will have to file in the Eastern District of North Carolina.
How can hiring a Wilson NC Social Security Disability Lawyer help?
- Unfortunately, DDS (which handles the initial and reconsideration level decisions) denies most people that apply for benefits. Having an attorney in the early stages helps your case move through the process and keeps the examiner informed of any changes to your health, medical treatment, medications, etc. If you receive a denial, appealing as soon as possible is imperative because you do not want any unnecessary delay at these beginning levels.
- After you request a hearing, it can take 18-24 months for SSA to schedule that hearing. This illustrates how important eliminating delay in the first stages can be. You can request a dire need to try to get your hearing sooner, but it is up to SSA to approve that request. An attorney can tell you what documentation is needed to request a dire need and frame the request so it has the best chance of being approved.
- The hearing will be with an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) who has the power to approve or deny your case. Representation is essential to presenting your case to the ALJ in an efficient and compelling manner. Also, getting your doctor’s opinion and all your medical records to the ALJ in a readable, organized, and timely way is crucial to your success.
If you need a Wilson NC Social Security Disability Lawyer give The Bishop Law Firm a call today at (919) 615-3095. We do not get paid unless we win your case. We look forward to working with you!
"I enjoyed the experience I had with the Bishop law firm. They were very personable and easy to communicate with. I would recommend them to anyone who needs an excellent law firm."