Do you need a Roanoke Rapids NC Social Security Disability Lawyer? The Bishop Law Firm represents disability clients in Halifax County and we do not get paid unless we win your case and you receive back pay. Keep reading to find out about the disability process and how we can help.
Facts about Roanoke Rapids, NC
- The Roanoke Rapids Social Security Office is located at 833 Gregory Drive in Roanoke Rapids. Their phone is 1-866-269-2010.
- If you live in Roanoke Rapids and have to go to a SSA hearing, your hearing will be held at 730 Roanoke Ave, Roanoke Rapids. Most hearings here are held by video with Raleigh OHO Administrative Law Judges.
- According to SSA, in 2016, 3,806 people in Halifax County received Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- If you are unable to afford medical treatment, you can try to apply for Medicaid for the Disabled at Halifax County Social Services.
- Disabled individuals in Roanoke Rapids without health insurance or Medicaid can try Rural Health Group.
The Social Security Disability Process
- Initial: The first step is to apply for benefits. You can apply online or by telephone. You can opt to apply without an attorney or you can choose to hire an attorney from the beginning. Social Security calls this the initial level. In North Carolina, your case is sent to Disability Determination Services (DDS).
- Reconsideration: If you are denied at the initial level, you will need to appeal. This appeal is called the reconsideration. The reconsideration level is very similar to the initial level except a different examiner should review your case.
- Hearing Level: If you are denied at the reconsideration level, you will need to request an hearing before an administrative law judge. As discussed above the Raleigh, NC OHO is your local hearing office.
- Appeals Council: If you are denied at hearing, you will have to appeal to the Appeals Council (AC) in Falls Church, VA.
- District Court: Lastly, if you are denied by the AC, you will have to file in the Eastern District of North Carolina.
How can hiring a Roanoke Rapids NC Social Security Disability Lawyer help?
- Unfortunately, DDS (which handles the initial and reconsideration level decisions) denies most people that apply for benefits. Having an attorney in the early stages helps your case move through the process and keeps the examiner informed of any changes to your health, medical treatment, medications, etc. If you receive a denial, appealing as soon as possible is imperative because you do not want any unnecessary delay at these beginning levels.
- After you request a hearing, it can take 18-24 months for SSA to schedule that hearing. This only illustrates how important eliminating delay in the first stages can be. You can request a dire need to try to get your hearing sooner, but it is up to SSA to approve that request. An attorney can tell you what documentation is needed to request a dire need and frame the request so it has the best chance of being approved.
- The hearing will be with an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) who has the power to approve or deny your case. Representation is essential to presenting your case to the ALJ in an efficient and compelling manner. Also, getting your doctor’s opinion and all your medical records to the ALJ in a readable, organized and timely way is crucial to your success.
If you need a Roanoke Rapids NC Social Security Disability Lawyer give The Bishop Law Firm a call today at (919) 615-3095. We do not get paid unless we win your case. We look forward to working with you!