Do you need a Roanoke Rapids Car Accident Lawyer? If so, The Bishop Law Firm can help with your case! We offer free case reviews by phone or you can start online now.
You are not alone a.k.a Some Statistics on Roanoke Rapids Car Accidents
According to the NC Department of Motor Vehicles, from 2019 – 2021 there were 2,705 auto crashes and 535 non-fatal injuries in Roanoke Rapids, NC. That averages to almost 15 Roanoke Rapids auto accident injuries in every month.
In NC, if you have been injured in a car accident through no fault of your own you can recover the costs of your medical expenses, missed time from work and be compensated for your pain and suffering. Punitive damages are awarded in few cases. In order for you to recover from NC Personal Injury Litigation, you must file your case in court before the statute of limitations runs out.
*If you were injured in a car accident while working you may also have a NC Workers’ compensation case. Workers’ compensation would not apply if you are on your way to work or your way home.*
Was the Car Accident your fault?
The first question that needs to be answered regarding your Roanoke Rapids NC car accident was whether the accident was your fault? If you received a citation (ticket) for the accident that means that the accident was determined to be your fault. In North Carolina, if you receive a ticket you are not allowed to file suit against the other party due to contributory negligence.
If you are unsure who is at fault for your auto accident, you can try the Roanoke Rapids Police Department or NC Highway Patrol for a copy of your accident report. Even with a accident report, you still may need the help of a car accident attorney to establish that the other party was at fault for the accident.
Assuming that the other party was at fault, we will proceed.
The Car Accident Scene
Hopefully, you have never been in an car accident before so we should discuss what happened at the scene. At the scene of the accident, the investigating officer took statements, you were given witness contact information, you obtained the at-fault party’s insurance information and you took photos of your vehicle before you went to the emergency room or other medical facility. If you were unable to take photos of your vehicle right after the accident, now is the time to do so!
What medical treatment is needed?
Going to the hospital immediately after the accident is the right thing to do BUT continuing to receive medical care for your injuries is the smart thing to do. Ongoing medical treatment documents what kind of health issues you may continue to have from the accident.
If you went to the emergency room after the accident you informed the medical staff of what happened, where you were experiencing pain or discomfort and hopefully they gave you an examination, x-rays, CTs or MRIs of those areas. You should also take photos of your auto accident injuries. Once again, if you have not done so, now is a good time!
Our Firm has written several posts on personal injury after a car crash. Even, if your car accident injury is not listed below, we still can help!
- Back Injury After Car Accident
- Neck Injury After Car Accident
- Chiari Malformation After Car Accident
- Brain Injury After Car Accident
- Blunt Force Trauma To Head From Car Accident
- Shoulder Injury After Car Accident
- Leg Injury After Car Accident
- Foot Injury After Car Accident
- Skin Injury After Car Accident
- PTSD After Car Accident
- Vehophobia After Car Accident
- Chronic Conditions From Car Accidents
- Delayed Symptoms After Car Accident
You missed work, what now?
If you are missing work, you need to document the days that you are missing and what the pay for those days would have been. Some days you miss may be paid as overtime days so that needs to be accounted for. You will need verification from your employer about your accident related absences so be sure to keep them informed about your severe injuries.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When to hire an attorney after a car crash? We have clients that hire us immediately after the accident and others that wait much later. The sooner you hire a attorney, the sooner you have someone on your side.
- How long does a personal injury claim take to settle? The answer to this question depends on many factors. We do not even begin to discuss settling until our client has received all appropriate medical treatment. If future medical treatment will be needed, we need to know the value of that medical treatment before we discuss settlement. In addition, if a insurance adjuster is not willing to offer a reasonable settlement, we may have to file a personal injury lawsuit which can add substantial time to a case.
- How much can an accident lawyer charge? Our contingent fee law firm charges 33.33% for representing car accident victims. This means that we are paid solely off how much money we recover for our clients. If we do not recover for our clients, we do not get paid.
- How do I choose a car crash lawyer? We would love to tell you that it’s all about experience or diplomas on the wall, but the real answer is passion. You should choose a car accident lawyer that is passionate about what they do. To quote our mentor, “if you love doing it, you just do it better.”
Do you need a Roanoke Rapids Car Accident Lawyer?
As soon as possible, you need to file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Please remember that the insurance company‘s adjuster wants to pay you as little as possible (preferably nothing). They will not inform you of all compensation you are entitled to under NC Personal Injury Law.
Hiring a NC Personal Injury Lawyer can ensure that you receive appropriate legal advice before settling your claim and that all your expenses (medical bills, lost wages, future medical expenses, travel, medical equipment, etc) are accounted for.
If you are having a difficult time with the insurance company or if you want advice on obtaining all compensation you are entitled to for your injury under North Carolina law, you should call a Roanoke Rapids NC Car Accident Lawyer.
The Bishop Law Firm handles car accident injury victims in the Roanoke Rapids area. We handle car accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents and wrongful death cases. We do not get paid unless you win. Call us today at (919) 615-3095 for a free case review!
Also read North Carolina Car Accident Lawyer