NC Workers Compensation Weekly Benefits

Compensation for Injured Employees working in North Carolina

Have you been injured on the job?

If the answer to this question is “yes”, then you may be entitled to receive benefits under North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Law. The Bishop Law firm represents Worker’s Compensation clients in Raleigh, Cary, Durham and surrounding areas in North Carolina. Call us for a free case review at (919) 615-3095.

In North Carolina, state law provides medical compensation and wage loss benefits for non-fatal injuries and death benefits for fatal injuries. Medical compensation includes medical treatment and mileage reimbursement for treatment of your on the job injury. Lost Wage benefits provide monetary compensation due to your inability to earn wages because of your on the job injury. This benefit provides compensation based on the physical impairment of the injured body part as well. Determining what benefits you are entitled to can be complicated and it helps to have a attorney on your side!

What’s the next step?

If you have suffered from a spine injury or hernia or occupational disease while at work or have been injured on the job through an accident, then the first step you must take is to notify your employer about your injury. Notifying your employer is a critical step towards receiving workers’ compensation benefits. The law requires that injured employees notify their employer about their work-related injury verbally and in writing. That means, you must tell the employer about your injury immediately and send a written letter or email to the employer about your injury within thirty (30) days after the accident or when you first become aware of the injury.

The second step of the process is to send written notice about your worker’s compensation claim to the North Carolina Industrial Commission. You file a claim with the North Carolina Industrial Commission by filing an I. C. Form 18 online, or with the assistance of the employer, or having your workers’ compensation attorney file on your behalf. All North Carolina Industrial Commission forms can be found on their website. State law requires the I.C. Form 18 must be filed with the Industrial Commission within two (2) years of the date of the accidental injury or the date that the worker learns that he has an occupational disease. This step in the process gives the Industrial Commission authority over your workers’ compensation claim. You cannot sue an employer in the North Carolina court system for an accidental injury sustained or developed on the job.

What comes next after filing notice of your claim with the NC Industrial Commission?

Now that you have given notice your employer about your accidental on the job injury and filed a claim with North Carolina Industrial Commission, two things can happen. 1) Your workers’ compensation claim is either accepted by your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier/and or employer; or 2) your claim is denied.
After your claim has either been accepted or denied, the workers’ compensation process can become quite complicated. If you believe that you are not receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to under your accepted workers’ compensation claim or believe that your workers’ compensation claim has been wrongfully denied, then it is important to schedule an appointment to speak with an attorney who practices NC workers’ compensation law.

The Bishop Law Firm represents Workers’ Compensation clients in Raleigh, Durham, Rocky Mount, Wilson, Smithfield, Louisburg, Chapel Hill, Roanoke Rapids and surrounding areas in North Carolina. If you have been hurt on the job give us a call today, (919) 615-3095.

Also read NC Worker’s Compensation vs. Personal Injury