This post discusses construction injuries and NC Workers’ Compensation. If you or someone you care for has been injured while working construction, read on.

The construction industry makes up a significant part of the job market in North Carolina. In 2018, there were 220,972 jobs in the construction sector state wide, making up 5% of all jobs in the state . Though not the largest employer, the construction industry is the third largest when it comes to the number of workplace related injuries and the industry with the largest number of work related fatalities in the state.

According to OSHA publications, construction workers are exposed to a wide range of hazards on the job, including potentially fatal falls, falling scaffolding, falling materials, hazardous machinery and materials (such as marble and stone), electrocution, repetitive motion related injuries, and safety violations. These dangerous conditions and the intensity of the work duties can also cause heavy levels of stress. Several types of injuries can result from these hazards such as broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, back injuries, torn ligaments, puncture damage from forklifts, and carpal tunnel syndrome, to name a few.

If you are a construction worker and have been injured at work, you may be eligible for benefits through NC Workers’ Compensation. The first step is to inform your employer, verbally and later in writing, of your injury and then seek medical treatment. If your employer tells you where to go for treatment then go to where they direct you. However, you still have a right to file a claim for Worker’s Compensation even if your employer tells you they will pay for your medical treatment.

The next step, if you continue to be unable to work after your injury, is to file a claim with the NC Industrial Commission.  Your employer (actually their Workers’ Compensation insurance company) will either accept or deny your claim. If your claim is accepted, you will receive weekly benefits and medical treatment controlled by your employer. If your claim is denied, you will not receive anything and you will have to file for a hearing.

Despite having a accepted the claim, some employers will still refuse to pay for certain medical treatment. This is where hiring an NC Worker’s Compensation Attorney can help you. In denied claims, hiring a attorney can be your only recourse for receiving payment and medical treatment. Check with a NC Workers’ Compensation Attorney for an evaluation of your case today.

The Bishop Law Firm represents clients injured on the job in Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville and surrounding areas of North Carolina. We do not get paid unless we win, and we offer free case evaluations. Call us today, (919) 615-3095.