Do you need a Rocky Mount Car Accident Lawyer? If so, The Bishop Law Firm can help with your case! No fees unless you win and we offer free case reviews. Call us at 919-615-3095 or start your free case review online now.
Rocky Mount, NC Car Accidents
According to the NC Department of Motor Vehicles, in 2021, there were 1,646 auto crashes, 933 injuries and 12 deaths in Rocky Mount, NC. Unfortunately, drunk and distracted drivers contribute to these numbers.
Under NC Personal Injury Law, if you have been injured in a car accident through no fault of your own you can recover the costs of your medical expenses, missed time from work and be compensated for your pain and suffering by the at-fault driver's insurance company. Punitive damages are awarded rarely.
In order for you to recover from NC Personal Injury Litigation, you must file your case in court before the statute of limitations runs out.
*If you were injured in a car accident while working you may also have a NC Workers’ compensation case. Workers' compensation would not apply if you are on your way to work or your way home.*
Was the Car Accident your fault?
The first question that needs to be answered regarding your Rocky Mount NC car accident was whether the accident was your fault? NC is a contributory negligence state. If you received a citation (ticket) for the accident that means that the accident was determined to be your fault. In North Carolina, if you receive a ticket you are not allowed (generally) to file suit against the other party. Assuming that the other party was at fault, we will proceed.
The Car Accident Scene
Hopefully, you have never been in an car crash before so we should discuss what happened at the scene. At the scene of the accident, the police officer or state trooper (on the interstate) took statements , you were given witness contact information, you obtained the at-fault party’s insurance information and you took photos of your vehicle before you went to the emergency room or other medical facility.
If you were unable to take photos of your vehicle right after the accident or of your bodily injuries, now is the time to do so! Photos of injuries can help a personal injury claim immensely.
What medical treatment is needed?
Going to the hospital immediately after the accident is the right thing to do BUT continuing to receive medical care for your injuries is the smart thing to do. Ongoing medical treatment documents what kind of health issues you may continue to have from the accident.
If you went to the emergency room after the accident you informed the medical staff of what happened, where you were experiencing pain or discomfort and hopefully they gave you an examination, x-rays, CTs or MRIs of those areas. You should also take photos of your Rocky Mount Car Accident injuries if possible. Once again, if you have not done so, now is a good time!
Our Firm has written several posts on personal injury after a car crash. Even, if your car accident injury is not listed below, we still can help!
- Back Injury After Car Accident
- Neck Injury After Car Accident
- Chiari Malformation After Car Accident
- Brain Injury After Car Accident
- Blunt Force Trauma To Head From Car Accident
- Shoulder Injury After Car Accident
- Leg Injury After Car Accident
- Foot Injury After Car Accident
- Skin Injury After Car Accident
- PTSD After Car Accident
- Vehophobia After Car Accident
- Chronic Conditions From Car Accidents
- Delayed Symptoms After Car Accident
I missed work, what now?
If you are missing work, you need to document the days that you are missing and what the pay for those days would have been. Some days you miss may be paid as overtime days so that needs to be accounted for. In order to receive compensation for your lost wages, your employer will have to verify your missed time from work due to the accident, so be sure to inform your employer about your injury.
Frequently asked questions
- What is a good settlement offer for a car accident? This is a great question with a complicated answer. A “good” settlement will include reimbursement of all of the victim’s medical bills, lost wages and pain & suffering. The “best” settlement will include the same as a “good” settlement with the addition of estimated future expenses. Also read How to Calculate a Car Accident Settlement in North Carolina
- How do I choose a car crash lawyer? We would love to tell you that it’s all about experience or diplomas on the wall, but the real answer is passion. You should choose a car accident lawyer that is passionate about what they do. To quote our mentor, “if you love doing it, you just do it better.”
- When should you hire a personal injury lawyer after a car crash? If you sustained injuries in the car accident that you are receiving medical treatment for, you should consult a personal injury lawyer. Hiring a lawyer as soon as possible is the best option. Bringing your lawyer into the case early can help a client avoid pitfalls that can kill or devalue a claim.
- What not to say to the insurance after accident? Never tell the adjuster that you need money fast. Never lie to the adjuster. Never be rude to the adjuster or threaten them. Also, once you have a lawyer, do not communicate with the adjuster unless your lawyer tells you it is ok to do so.
- How much are car accident lawyer attorney fees? Our contingent fee law firm charges 33.33% for representing car accident victims. This means that we are paid solely off how much money we recover for our clients. If we do not recover for our clients, we do not get paid.
Do you need a Rocky Mount Car Accident Lawyer?
Dealing with the at-fault party’s car insurance company should be straightforward, but most times it is not. Adjusters want to pay as little as possible for claims. Delay tactics are not uncommon as well as refusing to pay for all accident related medical bills. In addition, some car accident injuries are catastrophic and will need extensive future medical care.
All expenses should be taken into consideration before settling your personal injury case. Car accident lawyers can ensure you recover for all your losses.
Our NC Personal Injury Lawyers are paid on a contingency fee basis which means we do not get paid unless you win. If you are having a difficult time with the insurance company or if you want advice on obtaining all compensation you are entitled to under North Carolina law, you should call a Rocky Mount NC Car Accident Lawyer. Call The Bishop Law Firm today for a free case review, (919) 615-3095.
Also read North Carolina Car Accident Lawyer