Have you been injured and need a Smithfield Car Accident Lawyer? If so, The Bishop Law Firm can help with your case! We offer free case reviews and no fee unless you win. You can call us or start your free case review online.
Smithfield Motor Vehicle Crashes
If you have been injured in a Smithfield Car accident, do not feel alone! According to the NC Department of Motor Vehicles, in 2021, there were 2,529 auto crashes and 396 injuries in Smithfield, NC. In 2021, in Johnston County, there were 5,529 crashes and 2,327 injuries. That averages to over 6 Smithfield area auto accident injuries a day.
NC Personal Injury Law
North Carolina is a contributory negligence state, which means that you must not be at fault for the accident to recover for your personal injury. If you have been injured in a car accident through no fault of your own you can recover the costs of your medical expenses, missed time from work and be compensated for your pain and suffering. Punitive damages are rarely awarded.
If settlement negotiations are unsuccessful with the at-fault party’s insurance company, you must file a litigation case in the county court where the accident occurred before the statute of limitations runs out.
If you were injured in a car accident while working you may also have a NC Workers’ compensation case. Workers’ compensation would not apply if you are on your way to work or your way home.
Frequently asked questions
- What is a good settlement offer for a car accident? This is a great question with a complicated answer. A “good” settlement will include reimbursement of all of the victim’s medical bills, lost wages and pain & suffering. The “best” settlement will include the same as a “good” settlement with the addition of estimated future expenses. Also read How to Calculate a Car Accident Settlement in North Carolina.
- What if you can’t afford a lawyer for a personal injury case? The Bishop Law Firm is a contingent fee law firm which means that we get paid out of your settlement, so there are no retainer fees or upfront costs. If you decide not to hire a lawyer because you don’t want to pay a lawyer, you will have to deal with the insurance company alone.
- When should you hire a personal injury lawyer after a car crash? We have clients that hire us immediately after the accident and others that wait much later. The sooner you hire a attorney, the sooner you have someone on your side.
- What percentage do most personal injury lawyers take? Our contingent fee law firm charges 33.33% for representing car accident victims. This means that we are paid solely off how much money we recover for our clients. If we do not recover for our clients, we do not get paid.
Do you need a Smithfield Car Accident Lawyer?
The answer to this question depends on several factors. Some things to consider are:
Was the car accident your fault? The first question that needs to be answered regarding your Smithfield car accident was whether the accident was your fault? If you received a citation (ticket) for the accident that means that the accident was determined to be your fault. In North Carolina, if you receive a ticket you are not allowed to file suit against the other party due to contributory negligence. Assuming that the other party was at fault, we will proceed.
Were you injured in the Smithfield car accident? If you were not injured, you do not have a personal injury claim. If you are hurt, what medical treatment is needed and who is going to pay for it?
Going to the hospital immediately after the accident is the right thing to do BUT continuing to receive medical care for your injuries is the smart thing to do. Ongoing medical treatment documents what kind of health issues you may continue to have from the accident. If you need help trying to recover the cost of your medical expenses from the at-fault party’s insurance company, contacting a personal injury lawyer that handles car accident injuries may the best move.
Our Firm has written several posts on personal injury after a car crash. Even, if your car accident injury is not listed below, we still can help!
- Back Injury After Car Accident
- Neck Injury After Car Accident
- Chiari Malformation After Car Accident
- Brain Injury After Car Accident
- Blunt Force Trauma To Head From Car Accident
- Shoulder Injury After Car Accident
- Leg Injury After Car Accident
- Foot Injury After Car Accident
- Skin Injury After Car Accident
- PTSD After Car Accident
- Vehophobia After Car Accident
- Chronic Conditions From Car Accidents
- Delayed Symptoms After Car Accident
You missed work the car accident, what now? If you are missing work, you need to document the days that you are missing and what the pay for those days would have been. Some days you miss may be paid as overtime days so that needs to be accounted for. A Smithfield Car Accident Lawyer can help you recover as much of your lost wages as possible. Read our post about Recovering Lost Wages.
If you are having a difficult time with the insurance company or if you want advice on obtaining all compensation you are entitled to under North Carolina law, you should call a Smithfield Car Accident Lawyer. The Bishop Law Firm handles Smithfield Car Accident injury cases and we do not get paid unless you win! Call us today at (919) 615-3095.
Also read North Carolina Car Accident Lawyer